This quick and easy lentil dhal is a warming dinner for those winter evenings.
- Rinse two cups of red lentils in a sieve.
- Then add these to a pan along with 4 cups of water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a spoon scrape off any foam that rises to the top of the water.
- In another pan fry one chopped onion and two cloves of garlic until golden.
- Add the magic spices: 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp coriander, pinch of salt and pepper.
- Chop up a green pepper and add this to the mix.
- Next pour in a can of chopped tomatoes.
- Let everything heat though for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Drain the lentils before adding them to the tomato sauce.
- Mix well before serving up.
- This can be enjoyed with bread, rice or on its own.